The 42’ launch Glenaray was built in 1942 by Shipbuilders in Poore St, Auckland. She was built to be a WW II mine clearer, but never saw service and was converted to pleasure use. Powered by a 180hp Ford diesel. She last appeared on WW back in 2018, link below – she was also looking for a new owner then – https://waitematawoodys.com/2018/05/01/glenaray/
Thanks to Ian McDonald for the recent trademe heads up, which is no longer viewable, so fingers crossed someone got a bargain floating man bach 🙂
Bay of Islands Big Game Fishing Boats Today’s great photos from the 1960’s, come to us from Hylton Edmonds and show Miss Helen (1930 Colin Wild) and Leilani at ‘work’ in the BOI.
Hylton commented that Leilani was owned at the time by George Wooler of Waihi Akrad Radio fame – later PYE Radio (NZ) and had the legendary skipper Jimmy Whitelaw at the wheel. Leilani was later sold to Bill Hall. Miss Helen was predominantly skippered at the time by Neville Fuller – Norman’s brother.
In the background of the Leilani photo, Hylton thinks the launch could be George Warne’s – Rosemary.
WW contributor – Scott Taylor, sent in the link to the above short film – titled ‘New Zealand’s Deep-Sea Fighting Fish’. The film comes to us via Archives New Zealand, and was originally produced by Neuline Film Studios, Auckland for the Dept. of Tourist and Health Resorts.
The film isn’t dated but both Scott and myself believe it is from the early 1950’s, can any one date the film from the footage?
There is an impressive collection of woodys featured, all looking very ship-shape, and most still afloat today.
WHO OWNS DEODAR – Looking for the current owner of the ex Auckland Police launch Deodar – can you contact WW at the email address below – trust me its worth your while 😉 firstname.lastname@example.org
In early 1961 Auckland hosted the British Medical Association conference, with attendees from all over the Commonwealth attending. Included in the conference was a ‘break’ day where the delegates and wives were taken on a picnic to Motuihe Island.
In the photo above we see the launches that were transporting everyone to the island, assembling off Westhaven. At the time it was one of the biggest organised gatherings of pleasure craft seen in New Zealand with over 66 laid on.The weather gods smiled on the day and Arnold Baldwin’s launch – Valsan was the convoy flagship.
There are a lot of woodys in the photo that still grace the Waitemata today. The photo and details come to us from the April 1961 Sea Spray magazine via Angus Rogers.