Mystery Bridgedecker – LADY ELLISON

Mystery Bridgedecker – LADY ELLISON

No name on this old girl but her tme listing (thanks Ian McDonald) tells us she was built by Sam Ford in 1950, measures 36’ x 9’10” x 2’9”.

Built of kauri and powered by a Ford D360 diesel engine, that gets her along at 10 knots max. Other than calling Nelson home, that is about all we know about her. Can anyone put a name to her and tell us about her past?



The story goes that she was designed by Colin Wild and built by John Salthouse. Can anyone tells us more details about this yacht.

Update – photos below ex John Newsham


The 1947, 33’, Sam Ford built bridge-decker – Snoozer has just popped up on tme (thank you Ian McDonald),. We do not know much about her other that she is kauri carvel planked and powered by a 85hp Isuzu diesel that has her cruising at 8 knots. Whangarei is her home town. Might be wrong, but I would suspect a name change at some time.

Can anyone enlighten us on Snoozer’s past life ?

Input from Bruce Pullan – bellow  is a picture of Awa Manu, it looks like Snoozer.

Yesterdays Quiz Winner To Name The Launch Alongside The Wharf  – was K. Sutherland, who was the first to correctly ID the boat as Lady Helen – WW cap on its way 🙂

The proof – ex Tudor Collins photo

Maka Maile – A Peek Down Below

MAKA MILE – A Peek Down Below
In a previous WW story we uncovered that the 40’ Maka Maile was built in 1937 by Sam Ford, but rumoured to be not designed by him.Maka Maile is rather unique in that she has only had 3 owners in her 84 year life. During this period she was laid up for approx. 25 of those years.

Her current owner bought her as a shell only and under took a 10 year refit that included re-powering her with twin 120hp Nissan 4 cyl diesels. The engines give Maka Maile an impressive turn of speed – 20 knots max, but she cruises very nicely at 10 knots.

These days she sports a very spacious interior that closely reflects her build year but incorporates modern fittings to make life aboard more comfortable. A surprise feature is the main saloons sliding roof. 

If you haven’t already guessed it by now – Maka Maile is for sale, initial expressions of interest should be via

Previous WW stories below
Pictured below anchored in Mansion House Bay, Kawau Island

Read more on Maka Maile’s history here (ex Ken Ricketts)

Whakari + Woody Classics Weekend Cruise

Mooching around Gulf Harbour marina yesterday and spotted the 1925 Sam Ford launch – Whakari looking very regal. Would have to be best presented Sam Ford a float and a credit to owner Gordon Cashmore.

Whakari first popped up on WW back in 2013 – details at this WW link

In 2014 she had a wee oops and was hauled out for some serious TLC. The shine we see the above photos looks very new-ish, so the TLC appears to be a regular occurrence – we like that 🙂