WAIHOU > NGAPUHI
The 1953 Lane built woody – Ngapuhi started life as a towing launch for Lane & Sons (Timber Millers) at their premises in Totara North, Whangaoa Harbour. Originally named Waihou. Purchased by Northland Port Corporation in 1963 her name was changed to Ngapuhi & she served as the pilot boat for the Whangarei Harbour Board for 35 years.
She last appeared on WW in December 2020 when she was offered for sale – lots of history, details and photos at this link https://waitematawoodys.com/2020/12/18/ngapuhi-waihou/
Brief over view – 45’5″ in length, 12’ beam and draws 3’6”. Kauri carvel planked. Powered by twin Gardner 6LXBM52- 127hp that has her governed at 11 knots max speed.
Given her ex commercial work and being in survey Ngapuhi is very well spec’ed.
Other than the occasional cruise to Auckland and the outer islands, home has been the Far North.
Fast forward to mid 2022, sees Ngapuhi residing in Auckland and getting a birthday – like a lot of ex work boats there was a degree of deferred maintenance that her new owners are addressing. The new paint job is rather swish. Looking forward to her joining in on some of the woody events coming up this summer.
Photos below per-purchase at Opua
UPDATE 18-08-2022 – Ex Ray Morey – Ngapuhi ex Waihoa was designed and built by Brian Lane himself at the old Lane property in Totara North. Original engines were a handed pair of GM 4-71 @ 115 hp. N.H.B replaced these with Detroit 4-71N series engines after several years of service.