NGAPUHI ( > WAIHOU)
DOES ANYONE KNOW A ROSS DIXON (or Michael Adams) previous owners of the launch Menai – if so could you ask that they contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
Ngapuhi was built by Brian Lane in 1952-3 as a towing launch for Lane & Sons (Timber Millers) at their premises in Totara North, Whangaoa Harbour. Originally named Waihou. Purchased by Northland Port Corporation in 1963 her name was changed to Ngapuhi & she served as the pilot boat for the Whangarei Harbour Board for 35 years.
During 1983-4 an extensive refit was carried out when a larger aluminium wheelhouse was added. The original 2x GM471 engines were replaced with new 6LXB Gardners, propshaft angles modified, and larger rudders made to suit the new engine installations.
Has been in current ownership since 1998 during which time was chartered back to Northland Port until 2000 & kept in SSM survey for 16 passengers until late 2013 when the SSM regulations were changed.
While based in Whangaroa her owners have completed numerous trips to the Three Kings, Waitemata, Gt Barrier, & also used to view the racing the last time Team NZ hosted the America’s Cup in Auckland.
Length 13.84m Beam 3.70m. Draft 1.07m. Reg tons 22.
Engines 2x 6LXBM52 Gardner 1984. Diesel Engines governed to 1500RPM, 127 HP continuous rating.
Gear boxes Twin Disk 1.45-1
Fuel Capacity 1400 litres Water capacity 200 litres
Max speed 11 knots at governed rpm. . Cruising speed 8-11 knots. . Fuel consumption approx. 25 l/h @ 11 knots, approx. 18 l/h @ 8 knots.
Hull construction. Carvel plank Kauri over laminated frames of 70x40mm @ 250mm centres.
Other features. Icom VHF, Furuno GPS plotter/sounder, walk in engine room with fan forced ventilation. F’ward and aft cabins, galley, separate toilet with holding tank, wash down pump, 2x sets of fixed manual & electric bilge pumps & other safety equipment to meet previous survey requirements. Currently 3-4 berths, easily expandable to 6-8.
Thanks to Ian McDonald for bring the tme listing to the attention of WW.