MV Takitimu

20170923_113611 copy

MV TAKITIMU

The above photo of Takitimu were taken by Adam Leyden while on-route from Picton to Marsden Point during the Manaia’s delivery trip. Manaia was featured yesterday on WW so scroll down to view.

Takitimu was built in 1921 by Bailey & Lowe, Auckland. Commissioned by the Gisborne Harbour Board as both a tug & pilot vessel. She measures 45’ in length, with a 11’ beam & a draft of 5’.

Originally powered by a 40hp Twigg petrol engine, this was replaced after 1 year by a 70hp Twigg. In 1945 this was replaced by a 100hp Vivian & then in 1970 with a Gardner 6LX, which continues to power her today.

The vessel these days is ‘owned’ by a charitable trust (The Gisborne MV Takitimu Charitable Trust) & is available for excursions, tourism & conservation work. You can find the trust on facebook. Check them out, maybe even make a donation 😉

09-05-2018 Update photo ex Tim Anderson – nice to see the bow 🙂

Unknown-2

 

Takitimu

TAKITIMU

AIan Sexton took the above photos of the Owen Woolley built ‘Takitimu’ at Whangaroa. Takitimu was launched in 1975 for the then GM of NZ Forest Products, Doug Walker. She is 42′ and was powered with a horizontal 250hp Volvo, possibly still is looking at the smoke coming from her 🙂

The Walkers started boating the same time as Alan, their first launch was Gay Dawn in 1971, a couple of years later they purchased the Woolley Karere II, followed by Takitimu. They owned Takitimu for approx 10yrs then downsized to a 10.5m Woolley flybridge launch. Doug’s son Paul later ran the Woolley launch Alchemy in charter.
The only change to Takitimu since launching is the raised flybridge windscreen and solid canopy.