Woodys on the Opawa River Blenheim

OPAWA RIVER – Blenheim

The above photos come to us via Bruno Redwood’s fb, & show the Opawa River, Blenheim & are dated 1913.

The river, on which Blenheim is situated, is a tributary of the Wairau, & is navigable for small craft as far as Blenheim.

It is thought that the vessel in the ‘middle’ is Twilight. Photos ex A. McCusker

Harold Kidd Input – TWILIGHT was built by Ernie Lane at Picton and owned by Thomas A Smith who used her for fishing. Later he had the mail contract at Port Underwood with her. She was licensed for 35 pax and had a Dunedin-built Shacklock 10hp twin; her dims were 34′ x 8’3″ x 3’9″.

And below some eye candy – a wee video on the 2 year restoration of the 1926 N. Herreshoff designed NY40 MARILEE – its a great insight into the work of French & Webb in Belfast, Maine. Grab a cup/glass of something & sit back & enjoy 🙂