MONOWAI III – Southern Cruise
Todays WW story is part 2 of Dean & Deb Wright’s recent 2 week Fiordland cruise aboard Monowai III, owned by Andy and Brenda Bell. Today we focus on the launch Monowai III. The photos above also include some from last years (April) cruise > Port Pegasus, Stewart Island, the shots of hail on the foredeck, were when the temp dropped a bit post a front that came through.
- 47’ Saunders
- 11’10 beam, 4’9” draft
- Carvel kauri construction
- 15t light ship mode, 18t heavy (Fiordland mode)
- 8V71N GM diesel, twin disc 2:1 box
- 2” shaft, swinging 29×21” 4 blade
- Built by Harold Saunders, Tory Channel, launched 1976
- Built as a fast cray boat for Cook Strait, capable of 21 knots when launched.
- Dave Duff was the 1st owner, he kept the boat moored by the Mana Bridge.
- 2nd owner was Peter McManaway, who did his apprenticeship at Saunders yard and worked on the original build of Monowai III. Peter extended the hull 3’ and did a major conversion, changing the aft fish hold to accommodation and completely changing the wheelhouse to the current configuration. He also added two planks to the height of the hull.
She carries 1200 litres of diesel with an additonal 480 litres in portable containers. 600 litres of freshwater. Cruise speed approx 8 knots with a fuel burn around 2 litres per nautical mile.
Syndicate from Wellington
Ron Legge / Richard Downer ( sold to Andy and Brenda Bell in June 2013)
Below is a video (drone footage) Dean took of the boat going through North Port, Chalky Inlet. That’s the hulk of the Stella lying beached. Built in 1875 and was the first purpose-built lighthouse ship apparently.