IONA – SOS
The 33’ launch Iona recently was recently damaged on her Tauranga mooring during a storm, according to the tme listing (thank you Ian McDonald) the winds pulled out the bollard from the deck, and due to the weight of the warp on the fairlead, the stem at the bow has pulled forward and has resulted in the planks being sprung.
The launch was discovered bow down on its mooring. The stem and planks were patch repaired to enable a salvage to tow vessel to the hardstand. The 60hp Ford still runs.
Iona is for sale via the insurance companies loss adjusters. She has been for sale in the past – photo below from the marine hub listing.Iona made a cameo appearance on WW back in 2018, a lot of chat re builder, age etc – link here https://waitematawoodys.com/2018/12/07/mystery-launch-at-omokoroa-boat-club/
The tme reserve is $1.00 so either a low-priced project boat or budget fittings.
07-8-2021 Harold Kidd Input: A few recently gleaned facts.
- IONE was built for W.J. Wilson, Chief Engineer for the Wilson Cement Works at Mahurangi.
- She was built in August 1905 by the great Auckland launch-builder David Reid (and not Bailey & Lowe as I earlier postulated)
- When Wilson retired in late 1909 he brought her to Auckland and joined NZPBA and RNZYS.
- He raced her consistently with those and other clubs. She was fast with her 12hp Sterling engine.
- Therefore her pedigree is as long as your arm and she should be rescued.