HURIA > VANORA > NAOMI
This photo ex Williamson Family Collection, recently popped up on fb and thanks to Harold Kidd we now know a lot more about the vessel.
She was built as – Huria in Jan. 1899 by Logan Bros. for Capt. Mercer of Nelson with a 2 cyl Daimler engine.
She was bought by MA Jenny in1905 and re-named – Vanora. Jenny re-engined her with a 30hp Gardner. Lindsay Cooke (Auckland) bought her in 1906. The NZ Government bought her in 1914 and based her in Tauranga. She got renamed – Naomi, probably because Jenny had owned a succession of Naomis. As Vanora, she took part in the Rudder Cup race in 1908.
Interested to hear what others think re the year of the above photo -there are some very ’sad’ apparel on display. The gent in the yellow budgie smugglers would have to win the prize for the most outrageous kit.
Sadly as we see in the photo below, ex Daniel HIcks fb, Naomi has not travelled well over the years and now languishes on the hard at Whangateau. It’s the same woody but somewhere along the way, she has been let go.