MELODY – A CLASSIC PROJECT
Melody was built by the legendary John Lidgard in the 1950’s on Kawau Island & used as a Govt service vessel. She measures 11.5m & is powered by a 100hp Ford.
Despite the hull being in excellent condition, the 1930’s plywood that was used on her superstructure, de-laminated due to bonding failure. Approx. 20>30 years ago she was completely stripped (decks and superstructure) to a her heart kauri bare hull and stored in a dry shed under cover. Recently the property where she was stored was sold to developers and contractors needed to clear the site. On inspection, despite being covered in litter, the hull proved to be perfectly sound and true. No doubt due to efficient storage preserving the quality of materials and excellence of design and construction.
Following negotiations, the vessel was offered, generously, to the Kerikeri Steam Trust and duly accepted by the Trustees.
The Trust shifted her to the TSS Minerva’s restoration site in the centre of Kerikeri, the hull was stripped, steam-cleaned and covered. Machinery and fitments were removed, ready for detailed inspection and refurbishment.
It is anticipated that all proceeds from the sale of Melody will go to the continued restoration of the engineering requirements for TSS The Minerva.
So woodys – anyone looking for a project or a quick start on a build should consider her.
03-05-2020 Update ex Nathan Herbert – Nathan sent in the press clipping below that show Melody, it that popped up on the Kerikeri fb page. The date of ’The Kerikeri Chronicle’ – Vol 8, No.2 is 30 May, 1981