Shamrock (originally Shamrock Leaf) was built by Bailey and Lowe and launched in 1915. She started life powered by a 25hp Sterling petrol engine and could reach speeds of 10 knots. She was converted to diesel in 1936. Built for Arch McCarthy who ran the ferry service from Waitakaruru to Thames until the Kopu Bridge was opened.
Arch sold her to John Faulkner in 1925 where she worked as a ferry and tug in Tauranga harbour towing barges from Motiti Island and Mayor Island. She was sold in 1980 and went to Kawau Island where she did tug work towing log rafts and barges during the building of many of the wharfs at Kawau. With the tides permitting she would take the locals to Warkworth to do shopping etc. She was then on sold and was charter fishing from Leigh to Great and Little Barrier Islands.
In 2000 she was purchased by Rod Bridge from Shamrock Charters and sailed to the Kaipara Harbour where she would spend the next six years doing charter fishing in the harbour and over the Kaipara bar. It was 2000 when she was deregistered as a passenger ship and dropped the Leaf to become just Shamrock. She holds the record for being the oldest vessel in continuous commercial survey in NZ.
Her current owners, Trish & Martin Beeby purchased her in 2006 from Rod Bridge and sailed her back to Auckland where she now resides at Te Atatu. She has competed in 3 Auckland Anniversary day Tug Boat Races and has not disgraced herself. Now powered by a 150hp Ford Dover her 4th engine after she had a Isuzu and a GM 4 /71. 2014 is her 99th year & she just passed another survey for insurance purposes and she is still doing well.
Trish has done a lot of work tracing her past but if anyone has any information or photos email them to email@example.com
Photo below ex Zach Matich of Shamrock while she was chartering on the Kaipara out of Helensvillle
Photo below ex classicboatsnz showing Shamrock Leaf out at Bailey & Lowe
Update 09-10-2020 Unshore of the date but looking a tad more ‘pleasure’ craft.